|Los Angeles City Fire Department
The Los Angeles City Fire Department was formally founded
in 1886 although its earliest roots can be traced back to a
volunteer department organized in 1871. When formed in
1886, the Los Angeles Fire Department consisted of 30 paid
firefighters, 24 reserve firefighters, 4 fire stations, 2 steam fire
engines, 2 hose reels, a hose wagon, a 65 foot aerial ladder
wagon, and 11 horses protecting an area of about 30 square
miles with a population of approximately 50,000.
Today, the Los Angeles Fire Department has nearly 3,600
paid personel out of 106 fire stations with a coverage area of
471 square miles with a population of over 4 million residents.
Over the years the LAFD purchased 146 pieces of Crown fire
apparatus in every available configuration including several one
of a kind rigs to suit the City's needs. The first Crown
delivered to the Los Angeles City Fire Department was in
1953, a triple combination pumper carrying serial number
F1005. The last piece of Crown apparatus delivered was in
1974, also a triple combination pumper, carrying serial number
F1707. Presently, 61 of the 146 Crowns purchased by the
LAFD can be seen on this page.