|This Crown Firecoach was purchased by the city of The Dalles, Oregon in 1954. Carrying serial number F1028, she is the oldest
Crown that is in continuous service today. The name of the department has changed from The Dalles Fire Department to
Mid-Columbia Fire and Rescue. As built, she was powered by a Hall-Scott 935 gasoline motor. She was returned to Crown in
Los Angeles in the late 60s to have the original open cab enclosed and to be repowered with a Cummins V903 diesel motor. She
retains her original Spicer 5-speed manual transmission. She is fitted with a Waterous 1,250gpm pump with 500 gallon water tank.
A few items of interest to note are that all the fittings use Navy thread as was originally spec'd by the dept. when they ordered
F1028. She still uses her original positive ground electrical system which works very well. The cabinets added on the engineers
side house SCBAs which relocated the hard suction trays that were mounted there.
|Created March 21, 2010