|This pumper was built in 1963 and was the first piece of Crown fire apparatus to be built with a 4-door cab. This was a
special order by LA County for two Crown pumpers with fully enclosed, 4-door cabs. LA County also ordered two
Seagrave engines in the same configuration for comparison. It is unknown what the County's determination was of these
"experimental" apparatus as it was 1968, five years later, that LA County finally settled on ordering apparatus with closed
cabs and open jumpseats. Engine 82 served the community of La Canada/Flintridge for Los Angeles County. She carries
Crown Coach serial number F1290 and LA County Shop number 49563.
It is also important to note that this is the very first piece of Crown fire apparatus to be built fitted with an Allison Automatic
transmission. Older Crowns were later fitted with automatics but should not be mistaken for being the first. F1290 is
powered by a Hall-Scott 1091 gasoline motor and fitted with a 1,250gpm Waterous pump and a 500 gallon water tank.
After being declared surplus by the County of Los Angeles, she was sold to a fire department in Utah where she was in
service until the late 90s when she was sidelined after being replaced with a newer rig. Unfortunately she was vandalized
after being taken out of service but that did not prevent collector Matt Monson from recovering her and bringing her back to
California. Despite being a little beaten up, she is remarkably complete including the original Hall-Scott motor and is
undergoing the slow process of a complete restoration to factory condition.
|Created September 4, 2008