P9 is one of two Crown Firecoaches built for Los Angeles City in 1969 that were equipped with 2,000gpm Waterous pumps.  She carried Crown Coach serial number F1572 and LA City Shop number 60226 and was assigned to Station 9 in the Downtown area. As built, she was powered by a Hall-Scott 1091 gasoline moter with a Spicer 5-speed manual transmission.  This rig did not have a water tank and was instead fitted with an extra large hose bed.  The photos above and immediately below were taken by Christopher Arnold on Fire Service Day in 1969 when this rig was fresh out of the factory.
F1573 was later rebuilt by the LA City Shops into a triple combination pumper.  A new body was fitted as well as the addition of a 500 gallon tank and she was also repowered with a Cummins NTC-400 diesel motor.  She was reassigned after being rebuilt to Station 40 on Terminal Island.
Created October 4, 2008
Click here to see more apparatus from the
Los Angeles City Fire Department